As an Essay Counselor, you will work together with a Student Account Manager (SAM) onsite in helping students with their college application. In terms of essay coaching, you will be responsible for providing one-on-one support and guidance to the assigned student’s personal statement. Editing and/or additional guidance may also be required for honors, scholarship, or supplemental essays. This is a flexible position which requires a commitment of approximately 25 hours per student, depending on the stage of the process. Most meetings will be conducted via Skype, but use of GPA offices in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi is also an option.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare the student for the type of writing required by the US college admission
- Provide creative writing strategies, tips, and support for the student’s personal statement and other essays
- Guide the student through a personalized self-reflection and
brainstorming process to generate potential essay topics for the personal statement.
- Identify the student’s strength & uniqueness and help him/her portrait
their personal banding well through the essay.
- Use consistent substantive editing techniques thoughout the work.
- Develop a positive mentoring relationship with the student.
- Be responsive to student and GPA staff queries.
- Build a professional and open relationship with GPA members.
- Have a bachelor’s degree from a reputable U.S college/ university or
from an international equivalent.
- Have excellent English writing and communication skills.
- Be familiar with different types of editing techniques and have strong editing skills.
- Understand the college application process and how the personal
statement is used.
- Understanding the style, structure, and tone of a typical personal
- Be able to build a relationship with a teenager and adapt your teaching
style in order to meet the student’s individual needs and personalities.
- Have excellent time management skills.
- Be confident, open-minded, and friendly.
- Be able to commit to a full application cycle (7 months)
- Orientation and training will be provided to the Essay Counselor by GPA.
- The Essay Counselor will be paid monthly per student over the course of working time as given in the contract.
- Please submit CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if interested.