As an Essay Counselor, you will work together with a Student Account Manager (SAM) onsite in helping students with their college application. In terms of essay coaching, you will be responsible for providing one-on-one support and guidance to the assigned student and feedback for the student’s personal statement. Editing and/or additional guidance may also be required for honors, scholarship, or supplemental essays.
This is a flexible position which requires a commitment of approximately 25 hours per student, depending on the stage of the process. It also requires the counselor to be responsive to student
and GPA staff queries. Most meetings will be conducted via Skype, but use of GPA offices in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi is also an option.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent’s responsibilities will consist of the following:
- Prepare the student for the type of writing required for US college admission essays
- Guide the student through a personalized self-reflection and brainstorming process to generate potential essay topics for the personal statement
- Identify students’ strength & uniqueness and help student portrait his/her personal branding through the essay
- Provide creative writing strategies, tips, and support for the student’s personal statement and other essays
- Provide substantive structural, content, and technical edits to the personal statement and other essays
- Develop a positive mentoring relationship with the student
- Build a professional and open relationship with GPA members
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputable U.S. or international university
- Excellent English writing and communication skills
- Strong editing skills with some familiarity with different types of editing techniques
- Have an understanding of the college application process and how the personal statement is used
- Have an understanding of the style, structure, and tone of a typical personal statement
- Able to build a relationship with a teenager and adapt your teaching style as needed to meet the student’s individual needs and personalities
- Excellent time management skills
- Confident, open-minded, and friendly
- Ability to commit to a full application cycle (7 months)
Orientation and trainings will be provided by GPA. The Essay Counselor will be paid per student at the amount indicated in your letter of offer and contract. You will be paid monthly over the course of working time period given in the contract.